Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Pondering

Hello dumplings,
It's been so long since we've talked. I've spent this time in deep thought. This is a big year for me, I'm approaching 30. I've recently come across several new or soon-to-be 30-year-olds who are actually doing something with their lives. For example, Karen Crawford at the Brighton Chamber of Commerce is going to run a 3,000-mile marathon in honor of her 30th. Gene Sears thinks he commemorated his 30th by getting drunk - less innovative, but still a worthy effort. I've pondered a career change (solar panel salesguy or Illinois Sen. or Brighton Fire Chief (That's a joke, Chief Bodane, it really is). I'm also giving some consideration to writing a book. Such an endeavor would occupy some of my free time (because a toddler, an infant and the news hole of a small-town community are a real snooze-fest. A book would also give my mom something to do – running to every Barnes and Noble in Colorado and buying up their stock. In this vain way, I would get money from my parents without asking. I'm running into one hurdle with this book idea - I have no ideas and I lead the most boring life in the whole world. I've thought about putting together a collection of my newspaper columns (I've had that suggested to me once), I've thought about fiction (a story about aliens attacking Brighton - just kidding) and I've thought about non-fiction - perhaps a coming of age tale about some 30-year-old newspaper reporter lost and wondering about the direction of his life. I need your help. Give me some ideas. I will not attach any promises of food to this blog. We've ran into some problems on previous blogs with people trying to collect.