Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Consumed

As some of you may know, because word gets around fast in these parts, I've recently taken on a new role at the paper. What does it mean? It means Monday and Tuesday I'm absolutely consumed by the newspaper production process – I hardly get time to go to any of my favorite web sites or even check in with my favorite bloggers. No, no, this isn't goodbye – just an acknowledgment that you haven't been getting my best stuff – a lot of last-second thoughts just so you know I'm still here. Cut me a break, I'm maintaining a weekly column, making sure we have a weekly staff editorial and putting something on the blog. How much of me do you think there is? But I love my blog and all of you that make this a regular visit. We'll keep it going and, once the dust settles, we'll get back to business as usual. Stick with me. And if you know of anything you want to see better, added or changed in the paper – let me know. I can't hide behind "I'll check with my editor" anymore. It kinda comes with the job.
On a personal note, I want to let you know that these papers mean a lot to me. I'm coming up on my sixth year here. It's not chump change anymore. The better part of a decade is something special, especially for a straight-out-of-college kid who came here young, naive and lacking cynicism. But the people of this community give me my passion. I work everyday for you, trying to cover your community. It hasn't been easy lately with a small newsroom and plenty of changes. But it only makes me more proud of what our staff does everyday.
Talk to you soon.