Monday, September 1, 2008

Smudge

It's sad but unfortunately necessary that GOP vice-presidential nominee Sarah Palin had to disclose today her 17-year-old daughter is 5-months-pregnant. I say sad because, believe it or not, this isn't the first teen pregnancy to ever happen. I say necessary because in our nasty political world, it would have become nasty campaign fodder very quick. Which it shouldn't unless you're of the mind that Palin would use her throne to advocate all teenage girls become pregnant.
Republican or Democrat or Naderterian, I wish we could agree that politics would be better off without these kind of things having to be disclosed, solely so someone didn't beat you over the head with later. It's irrelevant to holding political office other than the fact that I think candidates who've actually experienced a little bit of life are the kind of people I want in office.