Wednesday, September 5, 2007

So that makes it okay


So Whoopi Goldberg – great in the movie Ghost which I have never seen and certainly didn't cry at – is a new co-host of The View and she christened her debut yesterday by defending Michael "Bad Doggie" Vick and his recent dogfighting confession. Argggh, I didn't think I could actually miss sweet, loud-mouthed Rosie. Goldberg's argument was based on the fact that dogfighting is a cultural thing.
"It's like cockfighting in Puerto Rico," she said. "There are certain things that are indicative to certain parts of the country."
While this may be true, it's also my understanding that slavery and racism were also, at one point, indicative of the South, does that make them all right?
I get so sick of people trying to justify things – this Nature versus Nurture load of bologna.
You know, when someone gets mugged in New York, I never hear, "That's OK, it's a cultural thing." I also have never heard a murder referred to as a cultural issue."
Dogfighting, killing dogs, animal cruelty, that's all wrong, right? North, south east or west!