Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Nothing like it

If you're not a parent, you won't know exactly what I'm talking about but perhaps you'll indulge me. It's hard to put into words the amount of pride you take in your child. There are a lot of things I expected from parenting (namely diapers) but I never anticipated the immense sense of hope and optimism I see when I look at my daughter. I'm beginning to see why parents proudly slap those "My child is ..." bumper stickers on the backs of their cars. I feel wrapped up in everything she will become, all the promise that her life holds. I think every parent believes their child is brilliant (if not, too bad for that kid) but I really do believe my daughter will be President someday. No joke. And, in this, I can finally see where the dark side of parenting lies. I can now glimpse where the need to live vicariously through your children's accomplishments and dreams lies. In saying that, am I already prepping my daughter for a presidential run? Yes, I am. She was so annoyed when I made her watch the Iowa caucus coverage instead of Ratouille. In honesty, I hope I can avoid that part – let her dreams flourish without forcing her to live the pro football dream that slipped through my scrawny fingers.