Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The pen is mightier

I agree with one of my blog readers today who shared some awe about the outcome of the Tim Masters' case. Masters was wrongfully convicted in 1999 of a murder a decade earlier and sentenced to life in prison. He was freed today – thanks in large part to DNA evidence that cleared him of the crime. But the media picked up the drumbeat of Masters possible innocence this summer, specifically the Denver Post with its "Trashing the Truth" series. Despite Paula Woodward of 9News jumping on the wagon and trying to make it all her own. I'll stay off my soapbox and say print journalists do the dirty work, the TV people burst through the door later with the cameras and big egos. This is a proud day for journalists when you see work tangibly changing someone's life. My only criticism, what took them so long? Maybe if the media would have picked this up a little sooner, it could have saved this man some time in prison. We hear a lot about how newspapers are going the way of the dinosaur (clearly the newspaper budget crises illustrate that problem) but there is still a place for us and I think they're always will be.