Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Could Ghandi turn down a gordita

This is old news for the Knowmers but, hopefully, still a good read!
Readers of my daily blog (shamelessly plugged at the end of each and every column) know I have been on a semi-spiritual journey for more than a month now since I vowed to give up fast food for the Christian season of Lent.
Originally, it was meant as an empty challenge designed to keep my blog readers (better known as Nomers) entertained. I had no intention of following through on my pledge to steer clear of drive-thru lanes from Ash Wednesday (Feb. 6) through Easter Sunday (March 23). In fact, I thought it would be really funny to post a picture of myself, the first day of my fast, chowing down on a McDonald’s hamburger.
Still, we implemented rules that have evolved from day one with one standard: all restaurants with drive-thrus and combo meals are off limits. But convenience stores (high class junk food dealers) and ice cream distributors (provided I don’t fall victim to the lure of the crispy chicken finger basket) are OK. It is also not against the rules, no matter how painful, to buy fast food for others as I have done several times.
Now, we’re past the midway point of this journey and how have I done? Surprisingly well.
There have been trying moments. More than once, I’ve called a co-worker to talk me out of the drive-thru. It’s a conversation that usually ends with the definitive question, “Kevin, can you tell me why you need the taco?”
There was also one awkward incident where I asked a fast-food restaurant employee if I could feel his buns? Needless to say, he got very upset and I was asked to leave the premises.
This fast-food fast has also taught me lessons. I’ve learned that fast food, much to my surprise, is not so much a necessity as it is a convenience. Already, it has occurred a couple times, where my wife and I ponder what to do for dinner but, unable to grab something quick and not wanting to go to a sit-down restaurant, just decide to have leftovers.
But the biggest surprise?
I’m embracing this change. I’ve worried for some time about the long-term dangers of eating fast food on a regular basis. While I have a heart-healthy family history, I began to wonder if that was because my ancestors just didn’t have access to the same amount of garbage we have today and instead ate healthy square meals. In today’s society, where waistlines are rapidly expanding, it takes a little more self-will to be health conscious.
So, what started as a joke might actually turn into a complete lifestyle change.
For now the focus is on whether I can actually finish this task. My wife has been incredibly supportive and my co-workers have eaten more fast food over the past month than I’ve ever seen them consume. They won’t let a challenge go without holding your feet to the fire.
Originally, I thought I’d be a glutton come March 24 and launch a citywide tour of every fast-food joint I could find.
Now, I’m not sure if I’ll want to.