Thursday, August 14, 2008

We are all guilty

I kept pretty close tabs over the past couple weeks as the parents of Chandler Grafner met justice. To refresh, this was the boy who was starved to death while he was a kept in a closet like an animal. Child abuse has always been horrific to me but I don't think it had nearly the same impact until I became a parent, looked at my own child and wondered how somebody could harm anyone so precious and innocent. I was happy to see both parents heading to jail for a long time. But that happiness is short-lived. Sure, they got what they needed but we are all guilty for what happened to Chandler. This was a system that let a little boy down. It seems like every chance to intervene, to see the signs of abuse, to save a child's life were missed. That's too bad. I hope we do better next time. Have a good weekend.