Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Don't be boobs, it's only cleavage

Discrimination comes in all forms, my friends. The latest to feel the specter of hate and self-righteous behavior is a group of high school girls in Louisiana turned away from their own prom because their dresses revealed too much and we're deemed too provocative.
The scorn, the outrage.
"It's not right," parent Wayne Nelerine said. "It's not right. For 12 years they look for this, and they deny it. They can't do it. It's not right."
How can you argue with a Dad who has no problem with his daughter leaving the house in a prom dress that would make the Girls Gone Wild! producers blush?
School district officials contend they are simply enforcing an already in-place dress code.
Despite my headline (I just wanted to see if they'd let me use boobs ... and yes, I am 13 – thanks for asking) I have to side with the school district. The innuendo of sex that comes with prom is bad enough as it is (yes, that's right, Gertrude, sometimes after the big dance, the kiddos do the dirty), can we avoid letting them walk in the door naked or should we just start holding proms at the town brothel?