Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Video game nation

I have to snicker at the "experts" who say video game playing is making our kids violent. Is there some merit to their concerns. Possibly. Are our children becoming Little Goombas who attack innocent Italian brothers who happen to be plumbers (hi Super Mario Bros. fans)? I'm not so sure. I think the impacts of constant video-game playing can be more subtle. Take me, for example, I'm a recovering video-game addict. How did I quit? I credit my wife's 12-step rehab program that includes a strict regimen of taking out the trash, watching the baby, mowing the lawn and other domestic duties. She should write a book – I'm almost cured.
When I was growing up, I was completely engrossed in video games. In fact, while my dad was building new rooms in our house, fixing everything that broke and other manly duties, I was playing video games. I thought that ability to fix anything would translate by osmosis. The only thing I got was the myriad of homeowner issues that I must grapple with on a daily basis. So, now I'm virtually incompetent. I break more things than I can fix, I just can't figure out when I'll be able to wave my magic Legends of Zelda sword to make the sprinkler system work. Now. I'm backtracking, trying to learn everything I already should know. The results are messy at best. So, as a recovering video-game junkie (thanks honey, yes I'll take out the trash in a second) I implore parents to pull your kids away from the X-Box. They'll hate you for it now but they'll appreciate it later. And for adult addicts, I think my wife will be holding a summer seminar – I'll keep you posted. Main task? Probably fixing the sprinkler system.