Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A bountyhood of thankfulness

As Thanksgiving approaches, a chance to get fat and watch football or, as I call it, Sunday, I'm reminded of all the things I have to be thankful for this year.
First the serious props:
• My family, my amazing wife and my precocious daughter who loves the word no.
• My co-workers. I think I've said it before but it takes a lot more than just the job to keep you in one place for half a decade – these people are like family, one weird, sometimes over-sensitive family.
• My parents, my wife's parents: you all just do so much for us.
And the rest
• I'm thankful to the Colorado Rockies for making October so amazing. Sorry you got bludgeoned by the Red Sox and screwed out of post-season awards.
• I'm thankful for my fantasy hockey team (5-2 and tied for first place.) There are few things I look more forward to especially since I'm winning.
• I'm thankful for the now two fire chiefs who are regular visitors to my blog. I'm moved that people entrusted with our public safety come here to watch me launch a pseudo-strike against management or whine about cheese (future post).
• I'm thankful for O.J. Simpson. That guy has a screw loose and it makes me feel normal.
• I'm thankful for the defiance of former Pakistani prime minister Benazir Bhutto. Who, by the way, is not the sworn enemy of Popeye (Thanks, Steve Smith).
• I'm thankful that the courts decided Britney Spears wasn't suited for taking care of her own kids. Now, if they'd decide the same about K-Fed and hand the kids over to Brangelina.
• I'm thankful for YouTube – geez, the time I waste on there.
I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving. See you back here next week.