Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Adios, Bennigans

Yes, I know the title is a contradiction of cultures but I'm really not familiar with any Irish terms for goodbye except "Arrrgghhh, matey, hand over the pint or I'll make yer walk the plank." And, yes, I do labor under the delusion that Irish people are, in fact, pirates. Sad news today that Bennigans has shuttered all of its Colorado restaurants. I went on more than a few dates to local Bennigans, mainly because my wife has red hair and I thought it would impress her. And, in honesty, it was no more Irish than Outback Steak House is Australian. Bankruptcy is the culprit, not a bunch of hooligans angry about the restaurant serving non-alcoholic O'Douls as I thought it would be. Always a shame to see a good restaurant go away but I knew when they started charging a $15 surcharge for carry-on beer bellies that the end was near. Auf wiedersehen, my Irish chum.

P.S. Even though it's not worth a separate blog post, it is worth noting that we are on pace to tie the record of monthly blog posts set last month with 24. To reach the feat, I will only need to blog twice in the next two days. If, for some strange reason, I have the urge to blog more than twice in the waning moments of July, I will shatter that record. It all means absolutely nothing but I'm really excited about it. If we can make it, I will be tempted to sing "You'll never walk alone" in the King Soopers parking lot. We have already surpassed August 2007 as the second largest blogging post month in No Means Know history.