Friday, March 20, 2009

Obama Tonight Show appearance

Depending on what camp you're in, President Obama's appearance on The Tonight Show is being viewed very differently. For conservatives, it was another example of "President Clueless riding his celebrity status for yucks in this bleak time when our country needs serious talk about the economy." I'm guessing there are more than a few Republicans lining up at their Special Olympics chapter for political capitol this morning. To that I say, "Ye who has not made a derogatory Special Olympics joke, cast thy first stone." For liberals and Obamamians, it was another example "of one our nations most charismatic, dynamic leaders finding new ways to connect with the American people." I'm not going to try to forge that gap, cept to say this week, I might find myself in the latter camp. Obama already had me sold, at least for this week,when he picked the same Final Four as me. Looking aside from the political B.S., I'm impressed by Obama's ability and apparent willingness to appeal to Americans on different levels. Seems like presidential candidates do the late night appearances to garner votes but once they get the job, that stuff is taboo. I had to pause his appearance last night, turn to my wife and ask, "Isn't this cool, the President having a casual but frank conversation about the state of our economy and our country. I think he is bringing the politically apathetic (myself included) back to the discussion. And Republican, Democrat or Naderfiffc, that's cool!