Thursday, December 20, 2007

The things we learn

Not all the things you learn as parents are earth-shattering – some you already know but conveniently choose to forget. I had always been warned to steer clear of the Chuck E. Cheese pizza but there I was chowing down yesterday as we celebrated my daughter's second birthday. It was delicious. Then last night, it was Chuck. E's revenge. I get the message – next time I'll give the pizza the ol' Casa Bonita nod. Some lessons we learn as parents are more important. In the Dec. 26 Brighton Standard Blade, we'll share the story of a Brighton family who nearly lost their 3-year-old daughter to a severe cold. As I move up the food chain at MetroWest (now slightly above ferret) I don't get to write as much as I like but I'm glad I got to take this one on. I'm especially excited because my sister, a talented, young photographer, took the photos for the story. It's fun to work with her. She has great vision. The story itself came from a news tip. I can't stress enough how important it is to hear your ideas for news and features. We need to be in your homes (preferably around dinner) to hear your stories – this is your paper.