Thursday, December 11, 2008

Those dreaded, naughty words

Thoughts and reflections for a Wednesday morning while waiting for a good deal on a flat-screen television.
• I got out of my car at the grocery store the other night and a mother was berating her child. “That is a terrible word. That is the worst word you could ever say. You are getting your mouth washed out with soap.”
• I think he said “bailout.”
• It never ceases to amaze me the numbers of reporters local television stations send out to tell you it’s snowing.
• Part of me agrees with going where the news is.
• But the other part says we should stop pandering to color-blind people.
• Auto executives tried to make amends for their corporate jet gaffe by attending congressional hearings last week via hybrid cars.
• A day late and a dollar short.
• I would have preferred to see them take a jalopy to Washington together, singing, “Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang.”
• Other words that kid might have used?
• 401K
• If you saw the Tom Brokaw interview with President-elect Obama Sunday morning, Brokaw suggested that we tag an additional tax on gasoline to fund research on alternative energies.
• Obama wisely worked around the question. You don’t want your approval rating in the dumper before you even get in the White House.
• In fairness to Brokaw, he’s working on a new book, “The Brokest Generation.”
• My daughter found great joy the other night lining up her small, plastic Nativity set on the tracks of the train circling our Christmas tree.
• The trick is to get everybody off the tracks before the train gets there.
• We lost one cow.
• Other words that kid might have used?
• Turkey leftovers
• Reading the Rocky Mountain News as a child stoked my interest in journalism. Naturally, I’m sad to see its future in doubt.
• Not as
worried as I am about that many coffee addicts being out of jobs.
• Expect Starbucks to jack up their prices in preparation.