Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Backseat driver



It's been about 10 seconds since I've heard ... wait, here comes another one, about some state or community wishing to ban use of cell phones in vehicles. As one of the maniacs who occassionally veers toward the center line when he dials (you should see me text message), I can't say I completely disagree with the banning of cell phones in cars. As a journalist, it would be hard to part with my vehicular cell phone responsibility. Because, as I received my journalism education, I was encouraged to always drive up to any assignment talking on my cell phone – thus giving the appearance of importance and that I may be talking deadlines with my editor or getting filled in with late-breaking news. While, in reality, I'm usually being scolded by my wife for not picking up dog poop in the backyard or being reminded to pick up bread at the store. But I worry about the added burden on police officers to pull people over for talking on cell phones plus the hassle. "Officer, I'm talking on the cell phone, could you please just give me the ticket quicklike so I can move. It's an important call ... no, I'm not going to hang up. Owww, you can't arrest me ... I'll have to call you back."
So as a compromise, instead of banning cell phones, which I think would send the wrong messages to kids wanting to be journalists (Hi, Brooklyn, Daddy loves you) why don't we just ban use of cell phones in the front seat. Then, (if you're not Dikembe Mutombo) you would be forced to pull over and make your call. And, let's face it, cops would have a much easier time trying to find somebody trying to talk on their cell phone and drive from the backseat at the same time! Ta-Dah!