Thursday, March 22, 2007

Book him, Kevo

Hey, we've been getting some feedback in the form of Web site comments, e-mails and phone calls on a story in yesterday's Blade about two sisters (18 and 15) who had babies nine hours apart at PVMC. I expected to get some feedback when I wrote this story. In a way, it's reassuring. Obviously, people have a genuine concern that babies stay babies until there of a rightful age to have babies of their own. But some concern has been levied at the paper because some people don't even think this was news. From a general sense, no, these two sisters having babies so close together is not earth shattering but it is a unique story. As for the insinuation that we're somehow promoting teen pregnancy or championing these sisters for getting pregnant young – I don't really buy that. Do we set limits on what we write yes. Would I write a story about a convicted sex offender selling candy to children in the park? OK, bad example, I would. Yes I would but the attempt wouldn't be to write it in a uplifting, heartwarming way. But the last thing, I want to be is the morality police – judging people's actions – trying to purvey to you what they've done wrong. In this case, I can't help but just feel like 'It is what it is." I know these girls have a lot of support from their family and friends. Hopefully, they will raise two wonderful little girls.