Thursday, August 23, 2007

First impressions important

I'm not one to make a mountain out of a molehill when it comes to first impressions. But, I will say, so far, I've been impressed by new Brighton Fire Chief Mark Bodane. He's seemingly open, honest and not the least bit truculent in talking with the media. And, if that wasn't enough, I will say I was heartened last night when it was his mother who pinned his badge on him at his swearing-in ceremony as his father looked on. One of the first people I talked to about Mark in Illinois when he was hired here described him as a great family man. It seemed to reinforce that. As you may or may not know, Bodane's family has stayed behind in Carol Stream, Ill. as they attempt to sell their home.
Mark has a lot of challenges to deal with in the Brighton Fire District. Fortunately, he has a lot of support. The people of Brighton built this fire department with their own hands and they have a lot of pride in it and making sure it stays successful. Here's to a successful tenure for Mark in Brighton.