Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The dead guy

One of my least heralded jobs at the paper and I have a few (not counting the occasional toilet plunge) is taking care of our obituary section. I don't write actual stories or do any additional research but I'm responsible for making sure everybody's story gets in the paper with picture and, hopefully, at a reasonable length. And, after working in Brighton for a while, names jump out at me. This week I noticed Albert Hause, the father of local Grammy-winning music producer Butch Hause who I had the chance to meet a while back, had died. And the name Homer Overholt stuck out because he has family at my church and my guess is his obituary only tells half the story because it sounds like he led an amazing life. And then I see names like 7-year-old Paul "PJ" Stokes and, as a parent, my heart breaks because I can't imagine.
I've been feeling reflective as I come up on five years at the paper and I'm going to spend next week reflecting on some of my best and worst moments (just a few) during my time here.