Thursday, October 4, 2007

Time flies

The Hinkley High School class of 1997-98 state championship football team reunites tomorrow night at the school homecoming game. I'd be lying if I said I was part of the team – a girl beat me out for the kicker's job. But I'd also be lying if I said the chance to see this group gather again brings back some nostalgia and with it some awe that it has already been 10 years. I can still remember the celebration on a chilly November day as we (as a school) captured the state championship. This is the unofficial kickoff to our 10 year reunion celebration which will culminate next summer with the awkward showing of children's pictures while my wife knee-caps the girl she thought liked me in high school. I'm anxious to soak in all the events of the next year – savor the fact that for a few minutes maybe I can be a teen again – stuffed in a locker by an angry mob. No matter how many times that happens now, it never feels the same.